Wherry (rowboat) built by Captain Asa Smallidge (1832-1904) of Northeast Harbor likely in the 1870s
The wherry is of lapstrake constrcuction and is painted white on the outside and grey inside. In the stern is a large U-shaped seating area, and spread between this and the bow are four rowing stations. A hole in the forward most seat appears to have been intended for a mast, but the hull shows no signs of a rudder or centerboard.
The metal fittings for oarlocks at the forward-most rowing station have been removed and a piece of wood installed in their place.
The center thwart is a recent replacement for an original that was lost .
According to family lore, this wherry was used by L. Belle Smallidge (born 1871, later Belle Smallidge Knowles) when she was a young woman and using this wherry, the Smallidge family rowed from Northeast Harbor to Southwest Harbor to attend church services. It was not until 1882 that St. Mary's by the Sea opened in Northeast Harbor.
Smallidge - Așa F. Smallidge
Smallidge - Așa F. Smallidge, “Smallidge Family Wherry,” Great Harbor Maritime Museum, accessed December 4, 2023, https://ghmm.digitalarchive.us/items/show/1003.Item 1722